Pages

11 February 2010

Enjoy Today...

I wanted to write this post at the beginning of January, being in line with starting off a New Year, yadah, yadah, yadah, but something happened...Oh, yeah! Life! Ironic.

Earthquakes in Haiti, a short family trip over a long weekend, loosing a memory card full of pictures (then finding out my sister downloaded the whole thing to her computer too so I can at least recover them!), a house full of sickies including myself, getting back to work, catching up on everything, trying to enjoy something. You know, normal everyday stuff we all are familiar with. Add a daily dose of really good chocolate and you pretty much have my 'every day' in a nutshell.

And yet, it all goes by so fast! My oldest turned 10 just a few weeks ago. Christmas seemed like just yesterday yet February is almost half over!

Now and then I will catch myself contemplating and reflecting on...life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness :) and also all of these in respect to my children. I am in a time and place in my life which revolves around the children. I could go crazy trying to give my children all the social, developmental and physical stimuli available. But, seriously, is it necessary? The 10 year old enjoys video games and building things from anything. The 71/2 year old enjoys drawing and painting and writing. The 31/2 year old enjoys being read to, jumping/running and scribbling. However, the 10 year old needs to work on reading; the 7 year old needs to work on math; the 3 year old...well, she's Three. 'Nough said.


And in my desire to give them the most fulfilled, enriched, enlightened, developed childhood, I could very well pass up the opportunity to give just what I am supposed to as a parent...Myself. And this is my struggle. I work full time because my husband can't; I am home late; sometimes I leave early in the morning; I am often tired; I try to cook healthful meals and succeed most days, but Ramen noodles and veggies is a family favorite; I have 3 beautiful children and a husband who also desperately need my attention.


So, pretty often I have to remind myself of my truest joy, my family, and what I want my children to learn from me: Make the most of your opportunities; We can't always skip school, but there are some exceptions; Organization is important but so is spontaneity; You will have your family forever so learn to enjoy them.


And, enjoy today...before it's all just a memory.

1 comment:

Terésa said...

Bravo, Sister. Well said.