Pages

06 February 2010

When the Light Goes Out

I was told a long time ago that one should never start a writing piece with the Title. The Title should be one of the last things to add, because... uhh, oh I'm sure there is a good reason. I sometimes think it's fun to just write down something cute, then write more about it!

That's one of many problems with the structured school systems, at least where I grew up. It seemed as though if it wasn't done how the teacher thought it should be done, it wasn't good enough. I remember so many times when I would do a writing assignment, thinking of something creative and original was very difficult for me! So, the act of actually completing the assignment was huge! But I was never graded on what I had done, rather on how the teacher viewed the paper or the topic, or how he/she felt it needed to be expressed.

As you can imagine, it was very frustrating. I never saw myself as creative, and writing something fictional was very challenging. So I never did it. Once I finished the last English class in college that I needed for my major, I never did it again. Ever. Nothing. Aside from the occasional newsletter or family letter, Nadda.

Then, a few many years after the rest of the world apparently, I heard of this thing called a "blog" where people, mostly Mom's, were showing their pictures and crafts and...stories. Hmmm, that's odd. Am I the only person who didn't know about this until 2007? Where have I been!

And, Oh! The liberation of writing what I want and how I want to write it! Thank you America, and Thank you to whomever it was that started this whole thing! Now, what this has to do with the lights going out, I have no idea, but I don't have to change it cuz I don't want to. :) Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Carolyn V. said...

Rachel, I love your post (and the great title!). I'm am so surprised how many cool friends I have met in the blog world and how neat it is to express myself. It is a great blessing!

Jenny said...

keep it coming!!! I love it!