Pages

26 February 2010

By George! I think I've got it!!

So many people ask what they can do for me, for us, after they hear about the chaos that is our lives. I honestly don't know. Chocolate is always a good choice, but even I have the occasional chocolate limit (stress on occasional). Do you really want to do my dishes and laundry? I didn't think so, and I don't blame you :)

Sooooo, something hit me the other night. Let me explain first.
Cancer patients occasionally require blood transfusions: platelets, plasma or even the whole unit of blood. Chemotherapy kills cancer cells, but it also kills blood-producing cells. So, after a round of chemo, the patient's dead blood cells are cycled out of the system, but it takes a few days for the bone marrow to catch up with the body's need and new demand. Low red blood cells = low energy (and lots of other side effects, but I'm keeping it simple). With D's first course of chemo in 2007, he had 3 blood transfusions over the year, I can remember. There might have been a fourth, but no matter. Point is, with 3 transfusions, that's 6+ units of whole blood. There were also, for D, 4+ transfusions of just platelets (when his blood clotting factors were low).

Back to my point
Here's what any one of you can do to help:
Donate Blood!! You can even get paid to donate plasma, but the blood companies can get plasma when they spin down the whole blood. There is, however, always a tremendous need for both.

There are Red Cross and ARUP blood donation centers all along the Wasatch Front, or you can find one near when you live. This way, you are not only helping D but a whole community of Cancer patients, young and old! ARUP is the main blood donation supplier of Huntsman, Primary Children's, Shriner's and UofU hospitals here in Salt Lake City. What a great way to help!!

Awesome! Thank you so much!! If there are any questions, just let me know.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

what a fantastic idea!!!! Thanks.

TeresaL said...

I agree! Great idea!

Carolyn V. said...

I love donating blood (even though the needle still scares me a little), but I was told that if you donate once, you are helping three people! It's awesome!

Giles Family said...

Do you have to say that... I get wooozy at the sight of blood. But alright, alright, I'll do it! It's a great idea. :)

Miss M said...

That is the coolest thing to ask for. I hope you and your family are doing well.