Pages

02 February 2010

We Welcome February With Open Arms

Yes, what would our world be with out Valentine's Day? Hold on, let me change my Pandora station. It was playing something Britney Spears, but to chat about Valentine's Day, I need some Jim Brickman!
Okay, thanks for waiting. That's better. Now...what were we discussing? Oh, yes, Valentine's Day. I was thinking more along the lines of Chocolate and it's role in this scrumptious holiday, but truffles are beside the point.

How has Valentine's Day changed our world?
Or has it?

I know personally some people who are completely opposed to setting aside a specific day for an outpouring of affection toward someone. This group of people think it ridiculous that there has to be one day dedicated to Love. "I show love every day," or "No one needs to tell me how to show love," etc. Well, actually, (scoff), apparently some people do need a bit of education...Hello, Reality TV!

I digress. Interestingly enough, Wikipedia has a topic on it :) and, wouldn't we know it, started from remembering religious martyrs who, in the early centuries, were given the name Valentine... and somewhere along the line romantic notes started being exchanged in the Middle ages... hummm... martyr = sentimental love... Wow. That could be another post entirely!

Anyway, regardless how interestingly our version of Valentine's Day has come about, is it really all that bad to have a visual reminder??

1 comment:

Lothiriel said...

VALENTINE'S DAY has become way too commercial, just like Christmas. Hubby and I usually have a nice romantic dinner to celebrate our love.