Pages

25 September 2009

Teaching Moment In A Blink

Last Sunday, I was getting ready for church and E came in and announced she wouldn't be going to church today. I wasn't really surprised, just more annoyed because she tells me this every week. I'm getting so tired of this argument/discussion. I don't want it to be an argument and I don't want her to hate being dragged to church. I want her to WANT to go, but my frustration is finding a way to get her to that point.

So, I asked her, "Do you know what the most important reason is that we go to church? Why do we even GO to church?"
"Why?" she replies, inquisitive.
And that was the beginning of a great conversation about the Sacrament and why we take the Sacrament.

Then, "What are the commandments?"

Really? My heart sank. My own child is 7 years old and doesn't know the commandments, I thought to myself.

"Who is Satan?" she continues, after I mention that the Holy Ghost helps protect us from him.

I have a great story, I said. I pulled out the scripture story picture books from the Old Testament. Before I even start the story, she looks at one picture and points to one of the men, "Oh yah, that's him. He just doesn't look nice." Then, I found the story about Moses and the 10 Commandments. I read each one then went to explain it in 7 year old language, but before I could finish the explanation, she would already be explaining it to me. The only one she didn't know was Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultery. :) Yeah, we aren't suppose to touch or look at other people's private parts. She took it (phew!!)

And that was it; it was over, her interest had waned. But, there was no more arguing, no more dragging feet, no more tears. I realized that her questions weren't because of a lack of teaching, but more of a desire for knowledge, details. She knew the information, just wasn't famliar with the phrasing. Having her ask questions is great, because then I can make sure she has the right information. The point is, to be available for more of those teaching moments that can pass by in a Blink!

2 comments:

Terésa said...

You're such a good mommy.

Kimi said...

You're good. I'd have been frustrated and totally missed the moment!