Pages

11 May 2009

Soundtrack

I don't know if anyone else has done something like this when they were...oh, anytime in their lives. But when I was younger, I used to wonder what it would be like to have a soundtrack playing whilst I lived my life. What would those songs be? Well, that depends on which time in my life to which we were referring. Someone asked me the other day what my Theme Song would be. I was completely silent as I contemplated my answer.

I couldn't answer! There are too many variables: major life events, emotions from the moment of reference, personal influences...I could go on but you get the idea.

In comes the MP3 player invention. Such a simple device, a digital music player that can fit in your pocket. Ideal, if you like to listen to music. Oh, the travails of technology to which I affirmed I'd never give in (just like I said about the cell phone when I was on my mission). I finally broke down and bought an 8G ipod for D for Christmas in 2007 figuring we could share it.
However, we don't have similar tastes in music.
He's added some songs at my request, but I decided to let him just take the reign.

Then, we stumbled on a sale at the U bookstore last week and I splurged the $15 for a 2G MP3 (not an ipod, but looks like the Shuffle) so I could have my own set of "workout" music while I ran or rambled through the hills. I lovingly downloaded song after song that very evening so I could have it with me on the next.

The next evening, as I'm listening to music while I'm walking home from work, I suddenly realize, "We've made it possible to have a soundtrack for our very real lives!" Not that anyone will be lining up to see the movie of my life, but at least I can dance alone on the trail if I want to! :) Just Dance!! Maybe that's My Song, for now...

No comments: