Pages

01 June 2008

How to Care for a Cancer Patient (part one)

This will be a multi-part piece.

This may be more information than most of you may ever need, and if that's the case, count your blessings.

Cancer survivors just count different blessings.
And so do their families.

Lance Armstrong decided that a person is a cancer survivor the very moment they are given their diagnosis. That just shows that man's incredible will to live and do everything in his power to make it work. It's working for him. As far as I know, he's still in remission.

I wish I would have figured out this whole blog thing a year ago. It would have been a much needed outlet. It still is even now.

Looking back on the last 18 months is difficult actually. There was so much we both tried to bury and repress that little ugly weeds are trying to show their dandelion heads and all I can do is just snap the "heads" off, but that doesn't deal with the "root." I was so busy with keeping my head just above water that I didn't have -- I should say "make"-- time to take care of emotional issues. Maybe if I said "Every thing's okay" enough, it would eventually work out, right? Sort of.

Being positive has it's advantages, but being positive to a point where you put off reality isn't so helpful.

Don't get me wrong. We had lots of help and lots of food and lots of well wishers and love given to us. So much so it was hard to receive when I'm used to being on the other end. It was a beautiful thing. I'm talking more about emotions; what we allow ourselves to feel, do, explore, recognize. Emotions are okay; it's human to feel. It's what we do with those feelings (or not do) that can be our greatest asset or detriment.

That's enough for today... I encourage you all to explore your feelings and see if you can do something different with them. I'd love to hear back about this exercise.

No comments: