Pages

11 June 2008

Hoover can really Suck

Was that brand of vacuum really named after J. Edgar Hoover?? That would be wierd, to have a dam and a vacuum to your history...
Anyway...(random thought)

So, about August 2006, I am in desperate want of a really good vacuum, something that will suck all the yucky dust mites and grimy dirt out of my carpet and spare myself and Eliza more allergy problems. Maybe it was July. I don't think I had Lydia yet. So, I convinced Daryl I needed a new vacuum and since I want something really nice, I was preparing him that I was going to spend a good deal of $$ on it. I then added that it could be for my anniversary present. :) He's so supportive.

This is where it pays to talk to someone before you pay $250 on a stupid vacuum!!
So, a few months ago, I'm using my baggless, hepa filtered, multi-function, all inclusive 12amp self-propelled Hoover vacuum. But I'm smelling something burning. Never a good sign. I turned it off, checked everything over, and from what I could tell...I couldn't tell anything. I let it cool down for a few minutes, then tried to turn it back on. Nothing happened (sigh). I put it away. Maybe if I forget about it, the vacuum fairies will fix it and all will be well again.
For the last few months I've been using my little portable one that really doesn't pick up much but at least gets the small things and I pick up big chunks with my own hands (gasp!). I put off taking the big lug to the repair shop for fear of the worst. But the other day, I and the girls were playing in the toy room and all 3 of us were sneezing, so I thought, for the health of my children, I'll take it in. That was Wednesday.

He called me this afternoon. Apparently, on the baggless models, there is a tiny motor that turns a brush that keeps the filter free of build up. Well, that motor went out, so the filter clogged up. That in turn made the internal computer thing hot and essentially fried the motor. They had all the parts in to fix it and my model was of course past it's warranty (of 12 months!!). Parts and labor would be $165.00, about, before tax.

In case you were wondering, the same model as the one I had came in a version with a bag. Apparently, even when the bag is full, there are still ducts for air to flow and cool the motor. And, no amps are used to run other tiny motors, so you're actually using the full 12 amps. That's when it helps to have a sales person to talk with, so you don't spend all that money for nothing.

Awww, how I loved that vacuum, even the short time we were together. But the thought of being used for my money taints the lovely cleaning memories we could have had...(sigh)...

Hey, I do get $40 trade in value. :) Is it worth it? Is anything worth the $$ these days??

1 comment:

Susie J. said...

One word for you my friend... Dyson.