Pages

27 May 2010

Little Slice of Heaven


So, my first trip to Moab...ever... was last weekend! It was short but, oh, was it sweet!! I am officially in love with those red cliffs. As my husband and I were driving down Friday evening, I was planning out loud where we would take the kids "next time we come down." Yes, there will most-definitely be a next time, but not soon enough.
It was dark as we drove into town, but the Main Street was bustling with tourists and shops and ice cream and Pizza. We drove the length of the street, found the main grocery store where we would pick up something for breakfast in the morning, then found an empty parking lot and made ourselves comfortable in the back of our Durango on a wonderfully large air mattress. I haven't slept that well in a long time. I think it was the combination of knowing the children were safe and happy at Grandma's and Grandpa's (and wouldn't be waking me up at the crack of dawn), and with the windows rolled down, there was a pleasant spring breeze slipping lightly over my face. I sighed and fell quickly into sleep.

Sleeping in until 7:30 really did feel like Heaven :)

Saturday was hard work, and even though the wind was blowing dried grass and dirt over our sweaty faces and necks, that same breeze helped cool off the heat of the day. We were all glad it wasn't full summer and that it wasn't raining! By evening, we were all hot, tired, dirty, hungry and thirsty, but there was also a huge sense of accomplishment. The last ties were secured around the "Money Load." We got as much square inch used out of that trailer that possible. And it felt great. As Tawna handed over the check for the items purchased, it was high-fives all around!

D and I ate a late dinner at a very busy local place, Zax, and were seated on the covered patio. It was a beautiful warm evening; I enjoyed it all very much. The food and company were great also :) I wanted to just sleep in the car one more night, but D wanted to get back home (sigh). I think I just wanted to wake up to that beautiful warm sky one more time. Until October...

This was an excerpt of what I wrote for E's school blog, http://www.qrps.blogspot.com/ We purchased
some used school furniture and loaded it to be transported back to Pleasant Grove. Re-using gently used items (and I mean gently!) is a great feeling. This was like a "Yard Sale of the Year" load!

With budget cuts, the Board of Directors decided instead of cutting teachers or curriculum, they would scale back on furniture (ie: buying new desks, tables, chairs, bookshelves, etc) and try to get what they can through second-hand purchasing. You would not believe what other schools are willing to sell for pennies on the dollar, just because they want something "new"! With the hauls we made last weekend and another time last week, and a few other stops along the way, the school was able to save almost $250,000! Wow. Wow!
I cannot wait for E to start this school in the fall. Heck, I wish I was going there in the fall! I am so impressed with the Administration and their determination to the children's education, and also to the school itself. I can't wait 'till it's finished being built so I can take pictures and show you all, so you all can be excited with me :)

I really took both of those pictures :) yeah, me!

1 comment: