Pages

07 May 2010

Free Education?

I was directed to a website which lists news articles and other information on education in Utah. Interesting stuff. One link stuck out: "Lawmaker wants parents to pony up for school supplies."

Whoa. I must be pretty slow. I grew up in Idaho and have only lived in Utah for the last 5 years. When my oldest started school 3 years ago, I was floored that I didn't have to go "school shopping." Well, disappointed was more like it. I have an office supply fetish and was really looking forward to shopping for her school supplies :) But that's another story.

Anyway, I was intrigued so I went to the KSL article, you can read it here, to see how people were commenting. Um, yeah. Pretty much what I thought, and one commenter summarized it pretty well, "Education is Free; Supplies are not." Makes sense to me.

As a parent, I have no problem providing school supplies for my children, so long as there is an affordable option (did anyone else have the "3-ring binder vs Trapper Keeper" debate with Mom or Dad?). I can provide for my children's school supplies and the school can use the money for more important things, whatever that may be. In my po-dunk city in Idaho, the teachers would put together the supply list for their class and Wal-Mart, Office Max, Staples and any other office supply store in the city would have the lists. We'd go into Wal-Mart, look for our school and teacher, grab the appropriate list and go shopping! There were also lists for donation items, if you felt so inclined. It was a great system and seemed to work for us.

But, I know I'm relatively new to the Utah Public Education experience. Am I way off base to think it's a fine idea for parents to be responsible for the school supplies? I know there will always be children who need assistance, but for the most part, it's a conceivable idea. A few other clarification points might be to have the schools district cut back on Administration cost...? Just a thought :)

Let's hear your thoughts!"Education is free; Supplies are not"

4 comments:

Rebekkah Monaghan said...

`Here in AZ we have to provide the supplies and the "classroom"gets to use it . So if I know my child will work better with one thing vs the other there is no garentee that they will get it. I dont mind doing this but what I do mind is that not every parent even tries to provide the supplies and the parents who want their child to have what they need and not og with out or the teachers provide it. I think that it is unfair. In years past I have averaged aprox 300 a year just on kids school supplies. This year I tried a different tactit and it seemed to work. I waited till school started and then looked online(all the teaches had their own web page)and spent about 100 on the suppplies the teachers were still missing and alos got each childs own homework folder so that they had something of their own.

Sherrie said...

I love school supply shopping (I don't have to try anything on:) I totally agree with you, education is free, supplies don't have to be.

Lovin' Idaho!

Unknown said...

We always had to pay for our own supplies growing up, here in UT. I wonder when that policy changed? I have no problem providing my child with supplies as long as they are reasonable.

jaman said...

good blog bangla cboti e book