Pages

16 May 2010

Time is Relative

The lesson in YW today was about keeping a journal. So I figured I should follow my own council :) I've always enjoyed journaling and keeping records of my life. It's been so fun to look through old journals, esp from high school and college. I found my journal I started after I returned from my mission :) I could read through them for hours.

After I had E, time went so fast I would regularly forget to write things down! For all the journals I kept while I was younger, I was a crappy recorder as a new Mom! I tried to keep her baby book up to date and figured, for now, that would have to do. And it did.

When she was about 3, I figured (since I was expecting L) I needed to start writing things down. I bought a cute, girly bound notebook and started writing to her every few weeks, writing about her accomplishments or just goings-on at the time. She's since taken it over as her "fashion album." She loves drawing dresses. For someone who won't let me curl her hair, she's quite the fashionista.

Sometimes, it feels overwhelming, keeping up with everything. L makes me smile every day. She has so much love for everyone around her. Today she showed me what she learned in Primary, the sign language for "I love you Mother"and "I love you Father." What a big smile she had on! There is so much that I want to record and keep. And I know there is so much I miss and don't capture.

But I really love Elder HB Eyring's talk in conference in 2007 about his journal. He would write every day, no exception, where he could see the hand of the Lord in his or his family's life. That talk really opened my eyes and helped me realize there is a purpose for our record-keeping. Among other reasons, it is to help us see the growth of our testimony and the hand of the Lord in our lives. We, and our posterity, can learn from those experiences. That's the whole purpose of the Book of Mormon, to "bring people to Christ," the most important journal compilation in the history of the world.

I know mine won't ever be read by tens of millions of people, but if it brings more understanding to my family after me, then I guess it will be a blessing. I only need to be more diligent. Day by day... :) Thanks for listening. Now, go and writing some thing down for yourself!

2 comments:

Mariam said...

Thanks. I was just thinking about how I need to keep a better journal.

Carolyn V. said...

You'd think I would keep a journal because I love to write, but it is one of the hardest things I've done. I'm way behind (only by 15 years or so), but I love what Elder Eyring said. I need to get back to the journal writing. =)