Pages

03 March 2010

Simplicity

E and I enjoyed a small walk along a trail path after school yesterday. She was completely enamoured about finding out there where no Leprechauns and that a four-leaf clover is botenologically impossible. The rest of the conversation went seriously like this:

E - But, Mom, when kids like me find out that a story isn't real, that its just something parents are telling their kids, when we find out it's not real? It makes us really sad.

Me - Well, it's kind of like Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty and the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy. They are just fun stories because it's fun to pretend and use our imaginations.

E - But, Mom. The Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy are real, so that doesn't count.

Me - (sigh and try to hold back the laughs while smiling)

E - Besides, what would you do with all those teeth??

I hugged her so tight and we had a good laugh.
Hey, world, I tried to be honest and logical with my growing child, but I loved the result!! :)

3 comments:

Susie J. said...

awwwwww... sweet girl.

But just to be contrary... I actually used to own a 4 leaf clover. They're genetic mutants, but they do exist.

Carolyn V. said...

How adorable! You have the cutest kids Rachel!

Jenny said...

Thanks for sharing that great story! What a great kid! (And what a great mother she has.)