Pages

31 March 2010

The noise, the NOISE, all the Noise, NoisE, NoiSE, NOISE

After school yesterday, the girls and I went up to visit Daddy in the hospital. I was going to take another piece of his birthday cake before we ate it all, but I forgot it!! Don't worry, it's still set aside :)

Me, being the awesome Mom that I am, stopped at the gas station to get a drink and told them they could get a treat. Yeah, didn't really think that through. After dinner with D, we were back in his room and I thought it would be nice to watch something family-friendly together (ie: American Idol) -- come on! It's not like we're watching Family Guy or the Simpson's! -- and about the second song, I realize I can't hear myself think! Between the 3yo not having a nap and being allowed an extra 3 days worth of sugar and the 7yo wanting to sing me every song from the latest Barbie movie, there is nothing about this "family watching" that is restful. So, we said good night to Daddy, who was tired and ready for bed anyway, and started home.

I knew it would happen, too. Before we got to I-15, they were both fast asleep, after a brief fight over the phone book as a pillow. I enjoyed a quiet, NPR-filled, even-traffic-flowing ride home. After a quick teeth-brushing session, we all collapsed on the girls' bed. They wanted me to lay with them, which didn't take much coaxing. I felt like one of 3 bugs under a rug, and once the kicking stopped, we were all fast asleep.

Well, they were. I had too much on my mind: the laundry sitting in the dryer, wanting to finish Idol from my dvr, the sewing project I started earlier that day, grocery lists, wanting to go to bed early because I had to get up early for work, but still had to get my day ready for tomorrow... (sigh) I just stayed there... my arm draped over both of them, the baby nestled up against me holding my other hand, the older one still sleeping with my teddy bear the kids call Teddy...and fell asleep listening to the music.

3 comments:

Carolyn V. said...

I love that. What a great mom you are. =)

Mariam said...

Sounds like you got a little snuggle therapy. It can be just the thing you need sometimes.

You are amazing.

TeresaL said...

I love those snuggly moments!