Pages

17 March 2010

Another Care of a Cancer Patient

Thank you so much for all of the kind words of support. I truly believe that there is nothing in life that needs to be traveled alone and without support. My family is a huge support and now I have even more friends who are willing to give unconstrained support. Thank you from the bottom of my heart :)

On Sunday, I looked over at D and noticed he had shaved his goatee (?). That is a huge step; he's had that portion of facial hair since 1996 or something. Well, he shaved it off, because I asked him to, for our engagement pictures. Then, I was more than willing to have him grow it back. It just suits him and his stature. Also, I must say I prefer him bald, too. He finally shaved his head before his first surgery in January 2007 and has kept it shaved ever since. I just wish rubbing his bald head gave us more luck...maybe I should start rubbing the tummy AND head at the same time!

Anyway, my point :) I swear it's coming; I do have one.
I know exactly why he cut it...it was falling out. Seeing it gone made me stop, think, breathe. Real. Hair. Loss. You guys think I have it bad, but D internalizes everything to try to lessen my burden he said once. For him and anyone else struggling with something so internal, this is an experience something anyone will never truly understand unless it's lived. I worked as a nurse with cancer patients before I switched to the OR, so I have an idea, but it's not something I live with daily.

My heart aches for him.

Cancer cannot steal hope, as long as you don't let it.

4 comments:

Mariam said...

Love Ya!

Carolyn V. said...

He's a trooper! My heart goes out to you two. =)

Kimi said...

Rachel, You are both so very very strong!!! I'm thinking of you.

TeresaL said...

We love you guys!