Pages

26 January 2009

Waisting Away

I posted this idea on my Status of my Facebook page and I wanted to talk about it here, too, because this is like my online journal. So, even though only myself and a hand full of people read this, my thoughts will be forever in the realms of the world wide web (and ldsjournal.com). :)

Anyhooo, You really know that cut-backs have hit home when you decide to go a week with out a cell phone because you don't want to drive the 40 miles round trip to pick it up.

When gas is more important than connivance, that, my friends, is a recession. "How could we live without these things?" we ask ourselves (as I have many times over the years). The same way I made the choice to use public transportation and make my commute to work almost an two-hour round trip ordeal. But, driving home in rush-hour traffic wasn't much fun, either.

At least for our household, even though gas is no where near $4 again, we still drive less (thanks also to our relocation) and are smart about what and how we consume. Don't get me wrong, I'm not crazy about global warming theories and recycling is a pain, but knowing even that little bit I set aside for the recycle bin is helping somewhere. Plus, I absolutely LOVE getting and using those reusable totes from grocery stores!! I have quite the collection. The Costco ones are studry, the Ikea ones are huge. I like the ones I got at K-Mart and Harmons. They have a plastic piece that fits into the bottom to help it stand up. But the Wal-Mart ones you can shove into small spaces (D even uses one now and then to carry his school books when he doesn't need his big back pack). Plus, some stores give you a 5 cent return for each bag you use on that trip! I had 80 cents off one time! :) Not much, but it's one way to say, "Thank you."

All that over a cell phone??
Funny thing...it was D's cell phone. :) I guess I should ask him how he missed it (hehehe).

No comments: