Pages

03 October 2008

Poor Service, Again

In a frenzy last night, leaving work early for a doctor appointment, only to sit for 60 minutes in the waiting room then having the appointment take longer than necessary (though I won't complain at that; it's nice to feel heard), but getting home late and sending D off to pick up a Uhaul trailer so we can move my sister's furniture for her to Idaho today... (gasp! Deep breath)...while I'm counting money with the PTA president, D calls looking for his driver's license. Yup, one of the ironies about removing your license from your wallet one day because you don't want to take your whole wallet, then forgetting to put it back. Nope, I've never done that. Plus, the kids are hungry and won't let me forget it, while I'm trying to count 5000 $1 bills!!

Anyway, it's almost closing time for the Uhaul store and they needed a driver's license to copy. Understandable, but the kid said, "As long as you're back here by 7pm (closing time) I can help you." So, he's hurrying home, grabs his DL, gets back there at 6:59 on D's watch. Daryl says, "Can I pick up my trailer please?" The kids actually said, "No, dude. It's 7pm" then showed him the time from his cell phone.

D's -issed at this point and says, "Look, all I want is to take the trailer with me tonight." And the kid says, "You'll have to come back in the morning."
"But, I'm here right now. Come on."
"You need to leave or I'm calling the police." And before D could do anything else, the kid actually dialed 911! D left at that point, and we got a phone call about 30 minutes later. :) The officer was really nice and told D that it was a dead case (meaning there wouldn't be any citations) and hung up.

My dilemma came when I didn't want to go back to this place, but I had made the reservation on-line and the reservation department assigned my reservation to this particular store, so I had to pick my trailer up from them or if I cancel on the day of pick-up, I'd be charged $50. So, I'm thinking...I'll just go in the morning (without D, of course), get the trailer and be done with it. So, I get up and pull into the parking lot at 7am and go the door as the kid unlocks the door. He doesn't let me in. "We aren't going to rent to you." Oh, what about my reservation. "I cancelled it last night." What about the cancellation fee? "I didn't charge you, even though I legally could, I didn't charge your card."

Okay.

I sure as hell didn't say Thank you, I just turned around and drove away. What the...? Would it have hurt anyone to keep their computer on an extra 5 minutes to be helpful to a customer? We found another place, and good thing it was first thing in the morning, cuz I'd hate to make someone stay late at work! Freak! How about, next time someone comes to the operating room and I say, "Nope, sorry. You're 1 minute late. I'm not going to help with this one. You'll have to wait until tomorrow. Here's a band-aid." He didn't even offer a band-aid, he freakin' called the cops!! Ugh!

Mack, add this store to your list. Don't black the whole Uhaul, just the store on 53rd and State. Dumb kid. Daryl, intimidating?? ;)

(Deep breath) I ran out of 'happy pills' last night, but got some this morning, so I'll be okay.

People, just don't be stupid. Where's the love? Hu? Just be helpful to each other. That's all. It's not too much to ask. Really. :)

4 comments:

Mariam said...

Uhhhg, I feel for you. How obnoxious. I can't believe the boy actually called the cops, and then canceled your reservation.
Stupid, overreactive people are the WORST.
Good Luck.

Amanda Ann Hansen said...

I am so mad right now and this didn't even happen to me! What a punk!!!

Miss M said...

I would send a letter, or a portion of this blog post to the store manager, regional manager, corporate headquarters and then purchase all the billboards within a mile of the store and display, "U ain't haulin' nothing from U-Haul. U-haul SUCKS!!!"

Okay, maybe I wouldn't go that far, but if I had the energy, I would mail a bunch of people just to get the word out that the kid at the 53rd and State location is an idiot and needs to be lobotomized, he's bad for business.

Keep fighting the good fight.
M

Rachel said...

Thanks for all your support, guys. Daryl did call the company and file a complaint. Even the lady in customer service that he talked with said this behavior was unacceptable. :)