Pages

22 March 2009

List of the Day

So, I'm notorious about making lists: lists for groceries, lists for chores, lists for daily/weekly/monthly/bi-monthly/quarterly/bi-quarterly/semi-annually/annually tasks, budgets. You get the picture. It was inherited. Actually, there was a running joke in my family: If there was something that needed to be done (assignment, church calling, family event, meeting), just tell my dad and he'd make a chart for it! He's instilled in me a love for neatly organized papers and a love for seeing things clearly on paper. My favorite program on the computer? Excel, and the Table Maker in Word.

My downfall? Following through with my own personal organization. Nine times out of ten, I will forget my grocery list when I go to the store. I struggle with a budget because so many things come up that we weren't anticipating (we need to build more savings, and that's a whole other post). I make Chore Charts then forget to follow through with them... on and on.

But, I resurrected my Chart-Making capabilities the other day to make a Chart of things to be done during the day, to help everyone help me so I don't feel like I'm the only one doing everything. I made it big and colorful and presented it to the family last night.

Eliza read through the whole thing and was so excited to start her Chores that she insisted she start right now! "I love cleaning the bathroom! That's my favorite!" So, I helped her get started. Who am I to deny my daughter a clean bathroom experience? She did a great job, too.

What was the first thing she did this morning? Ran to the fridge, "Let's see what our chores are for today! ... What? I have to make my bed on Sunday?" Maybe I can share with her the Art of Chart-making. She'll make a great Chart-Maker.

4 comments:

Carolyn V. said...

Oh, I love charts too. They organize and prepare my mind. So cool. We'll need to get E. and E. together so they can make charts together. They could be the chart princesses of the world!

gramminona said...

I'm so happy to know I'm not the only one who loves making lists and such, but often forgets them or doesn't follow through. See what you have to look forward to in 20 or so years.... you can be just like me and if that hasn't scared you....IT SHOULD! LOL!!
Rachel, honey, I think you do a great job. I am amazed at your stamina, persistance and cheerfulness. And it is great that Eliza shares all of them, maybe just in smaller amounts for now. Love you guys!!!

Andrea said...

I'm a total list maker too but do the same thing and forget to use them. I think I have to write things down to get them off my brain. I'm glad your chore chart is working! :)

Giles Family said...

I am just converting to the list way of life. If not my brain seems to only remember the fun stuff. So in order to get anything else done I have to write it down. And I have found JP will see my list and help me out. Gotta love that!