Pages

29 December 2008

"I Have A Dream..."

The new year always brings thoughts of change, renew, goals, fresh starts or start-overs. I'm GREAT at setting goals; not so great at following through (in a timely manor, I might add). For the last year or so, my sister has been working on writing a novel. I don't know how far into it she is, but she updates me every so often. I've read the first few chapters and loved it, but apparently she's changed some things with that, too. :) Anyway, my point is: she's had that dream and she's following through with it. Another friend of mine also is an aspiring writer and will have something published later this next year, a dream for her.

All this has had me pondering...do I have any dreams or aspirations? Do I need to? Is it okay to just BE, or should I be doing something else for ME in the meantime?

Do I want that?

If I don't, am I lazy?

Things I've pondered and didn't want to answer until the other night when I was listening to the "Mama Mia" cd in my car, singing to every song. Then, the second to last song, "I have a Dream" started and I pictured Eliza singing it in a High School play and thought it would be a very fitting graduation song...

And I realized...I want to take voice lessons (but that takes money) and I want to sing "Oh Holy Night" solo sometime. I sing with Celine Dion all the time, but that's a song I'd love to conquer. That, and a beautiful version of "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing." So much to do, so little time. I should stick with ward choir and my yearly goal of loosing weight, which I'm doing better at each day (despite the Holiday set-back). Happy New Year!!

2 comments:

Carolyn V. said...

I have heard your voice, and I think you are a beautiful singer! (I'm so jealous) I sing like a frog. Follow your dream girl! =) Happy New Year!

Rachel said...

Thanks, Scarlet. :) I can't wait to read YOUR next novel, too! Tell everyone Hi for me.