Pages

04 December 2008

How Time Flies...

...and we continuously grow older, day by day. Then on the occasion we can look back and remember beautiful memories that become sweeter with time...and age. Growing up, my favorite part of Christmas? Going to Victor, ID to help my Nannie (mother's mother) set up her Christmas decorations. Her husband would have a freshly cut tree waiting for us (and a day full of grumbles) but we'd sing songs and decorate every part of that tiny house. Nannie knew exactly where every piece went and every year Mom and her sisters would have a "better" idea, but Nannie always won in the end. :) I spent more time trying to find candy Nannie kept stashed through the house. It was always a fun day 'with the girls.'

I haven't been to Victor in years. Nannie and George moved to Utah a few years ago to be closer to family and doctors due to their ailing health. Daryl came with me to Victor this time, as did both of my daughters. The weather was supposed to be stormy, but I didn't want to go to Victor by any other way than Teton Pass, through Swan Valley. It's a beautiful drive. As we went through the winding road (literally singing 'Over the Rive and Through the Woods') the trees and ground were dusted with snow and the clouds were low over the Tetons. I wished it would have been a clear day so I could show my girls the beautiful mountains I grew up with, but this day would have different memories. So many happy memories from long ago, yet this time would end with somber ones. The one time the sun did peak through the clouds that day...my cousin was singing a beautiful song about an Angel to Watch over Me.

The service was long for the young ones, but I enjoyed listing to the stories my mother and aunts told about their mother. She was so loving and accepting and beautiful and never can I remember hearing her complain. She always had something positive to say. She loved to learn. She loved being a nurse and I loved hearing her stories. She was my inspiration. My only regret...not making more of an effort to get her to my Nursing School Graduation. She was sick then and wanted to be there, but getting her to Idaho was complicated. I should have figured out a way. She called me the night before to say how proud she was of me for doing that and cried as she told me how she wished she could be there. (sigh) She also loved life and her family, her whole huge crazy family. She hated missing a party.

I could go on for pages, but being with her those last days, she taught us all how to just LIVE life. Do what you can with what you have. No excuses, no regrets. Just Live and Enjoy and Love. I'll miss you, Nannie, but like Eliza said, "Why is everyone crying? She's happy now. She's with Jesus and Heavenly Father. Gosh, I'd be happy if I were there." I held her very close and she touched Nannie's still-warm hand and gave her flowers to hold.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I am glad you found me. I forgot to get your blog address before I left last week.

What a sweet tribute. Your girls are beautiful.
Can't wait to hear more.