Pages

02 September 2008

Customer Service

I will not be the first to say "There is no Customer Service anymore." Just take a look at my brother's blog.

But come on, people?? I know it's just a job, but can you find a way to NOT make me hold for 12 minutes, just to talk to something other than an automated voice machine???

Seriously, we all know the cranky adolescent at the grocery store whose throwing the produce, or the gum-chewing receptionist who gives you the run-around about making an appointment, or heaven forbid the nurse in the Emergency Department who thinks you like to fake pain (and know all the right answers because you're a nurse). Right? We've all been there.

But after I'd been on hold for 12 minutes, a real person finally says, " (name of company), can you hold for a minute?" I seriously didn't say anything right away. What did come out was "I guess." Because I really was stunned that he would ask. Then, what starts going through your head? All the answers you wanted to say, right? Like, "No, I've just been holding for 12 minutes!" or, my favorite, "How about I put you on HOLD? Hu? Let's do that for a change!" Ya, none of that comes out, though, hu? Now I'm just waiting, and I kid you not, the music is twice as slow as it is supposed to be, reminding... me... of... all... the... time... I'm... waisting...

How have we gotten so complacent that we accept poor behavior. Why do we just 'put up with' people treating each other poorly?

The last few months I have had my share of being treated unprofessionally, and it's been in my role as a patient. And I'm glad to say that I'm so fed up with it all, that it came crashing down on an unsuspecting physician's staff (who took it very well) and the CNO of our hospital, who sent me a reply email within the hour. :)

No one needs to be treated as any less of a person, so don't take it. Don't just stand by and let someone give poor customer service. Expect the best out of people and they will give it to you... hopefully. :)

3 comments:

Terésa said...

But that's what my big sister is for! to yell at them for me! ;)

Miss M said...

I actually told someone "NO!" when they asked if they could put me on hold, so they didn't. ha ha ha

Amanda Ann Hansen said...

Way to stick it to the man.

I recently had a run in with Qwest (I know Mac can sympathize on that one) and I made my roommate handle it. She told them what's up...because I don't have the ability.