Pages

09 May 2008

Good times, Old times...

(I actually wrote this a few weeks ago but didn't post it, obviously. So I figured I'd post this while I get our vacation stuff together) Enjoy a bit of personality. :)

We have a group of new nurses joining our staff at work, this being one of the end's of the many ends to the multiple nursing school programs. With all the new graduates around (some have been with us their whole nursing school experience), there has been a great deal of reminiscing lately. There has been the annoying professor complaints, the miscommunication with the different offices on how exactly we get our degree or temporary licence or other nonsense. Aside from that, there has been a great deal of looking back -- three years now for me -- and what was going on in our lives then.

I can't believe it's been three years since I've graduated with a college degree; at the same time it feels like FOREVER! But I wouldn't change any of it. I can't imagine working anywhere else. When the Huntsman Cancer Hospital was finishing up construction, I still had a year before I graduated and wanted so bad to move down and work at that facility. To just be a part of something of Mr. Huntsman's amazing generosity would have been a privilege. Then I met the the manager who's vision it was to even have a facility like this for "her" cancer patients was so moving...I knew, someday, I would be there. But, I was a single Mom and couldn't just pack up and move...well, I guess I could, but it wouldn't have been practical.

Then, I get married, and low-and-behold my lovely new husband wants to move back to Utah to be closer to his son so he doesn't have to leave us alone in ID every other weekend. He also let's me talk him into going to UofU. :) Well, I better apply for a job!! In one day I had 4 interviews, was offered the job at the end of each interview and accepted one from HCH. And here I still am.

Not only that, but we've had first-hand experience at the care the patients received, but I really think they spoiled Daryl and the kids. Eliza asked, just yesterday, when we get to go back to the hospital to visit. Daryl said the other day, too, that he misses seeing me at work. I have to admit, as weird as it was, it was a comfort knowing even if I couldn't be there with him, he was so very well cared for. Every day I'm at work, even now, someone asks me how he's doing and wishes us well. Plus, being with the patients helps keep things in perspective for us.

Working or not working is not an option for me right now. But if I have to work somewhere, I wouldn't want it to be anywhere else.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are so sweet Rachel. I look at you and your family and am amazed at your strength. This was such a neat thing to read, and helped me to make my bummer day (m-day) seem not so bad after all. Thank you. Love, B