Pages

01 April 2008

April Fools Comes Early

Yes, the sick joke's on us, everyone in the Salt Lake Valley. Not on 1 April, though, no. April Fools caught everyone off guard when we woke up 31 March to TWO INCHES of snow! Yes, even at 9:30am I had to clean snow off my car (and why it's not in the garage is a whole other story). Eliza was bummed when I told her I didn't want to sit out in the cold when she asked if she could ride her bike. "But there is no snow on the sidewalk," she protested. If that were the only deciding factor...

THEN, the real April Fools comes: registering for Super Sports at the local Rec Center. Apparently it's a pretty popular youth summer program; this will be our first year. Registration in the past has been on Saturdays and people have literally camped out for places in the first-come-first-serve line that opens 6am Saturday morning. Well, last year the Rec Center started something new: You Pre-Register and get a #. Bring that # with you to the day of registration (today, a weekday). At 6am a random # is drawn (today was #53) and that person is first in line. Then all the other #s line up after in numerical order; after the last registration # (59), the line continues with #1,2,3... I was 44. I overheard someone saying last year there were 105 or so numbers, so I guess having it on a weekday cut out the not-so-serious contenders (lol I didn't even know about this program until my friend suggested, last Friday, we put our kids in together). :)

Aside from the insanely long 45min wait in line to pick the group I needed/wanted then another 45min wait in line to pay for said registration, it was a nice brisk walk to and from the Rec Center...snow in April...(sigh)...I sure hope Eliza and her friend have an insanely fun time with this program come June. She doesn't even know I've already scheduled most of her summer. I wouldn't have camped out, though...

2 comments:

Mariam said...

I had the same thought when I saw the snow, "Is this a joke"! Our recent visit to Arizona made the reality even more harsh. Oh well, welcome to Utah.

What a dedicated mom you are. I don't know if I would of had the patience or frankly the organization to remember.

Miss M said...

From what I hear, this is just the beginning. (Of the running your kids around bcs they are involved in a bazillion things that are supposed to entertain them and/or make them contributing members of society.)

Good job the the birthday thing. We always forget that for each other. Then again LT was deployed last year. I always forget how old I am and I'm only a couple of months older than daryl. Is that a bad thing?

Anyway, that was a fun post, thanks for sharing.
M