Pages

15 July 2010

HawthroRNe

So, I'm really into a show on TNT: HawthoRNe. It's in its second season... ER meets Jada Pinket Smith runing in heals :)

It's funny, though. She's supposed to be the CNO = Chief Nursing Officer of this facility. And she's everywhere! Now, I love the hospital where I work, but I have NEVER, in 5 years, seen our CNO. But Hawthorne is in the ER checking on patients, she's chatting it up with another nurse about a relationship with a doctor, she's in the OR trying to convince a surgeon to do some life-saving operation on a prison inmate who is on death row... TNT really knows drama.

Now, I know that's not reality. Especially when the surgeon is 'gowned' by an unsterile person :) but, that's not the point :) Two other nurses were having a conversation about 'doing something with your life' 'what about dreams' stuff like that. "Candy" (yes, that's really her character's name) has just unexpectedly returned from Afghanistan (Army Reserves) and is talking with "Ray" (the only nurse cast member that happens to be male) about what he "really" wants to do. She's encouraging him to go to medical school. He hems and haws and reluctantly admits to thinking about taking the MCAT. She's excited for him, blah blah blah.

So, I'm thinking, What's wrong with just being a nurse? Why is a nurse not good enough? Why is Candy not satisfied with Ray just being a nurse? Why is Ray not satisfied with just being a nurse? Or is he? Hmmmmm

Maybe I'm sensitive to that because I'm surrounded by doctors every day, in every stage of education, and sometimes I think, "Did I sell myself short? Could I have done more with my education?" Then, I realize that my choices took me in an entirely different direction in life. I chose to be a nurse because I enjoy taking care of people. And, I can do that and still be home with my family. Sure, I won't make the money of a doctor or lawyer, but that trade-off doesn't keep me up at night either.

Maybe Ray told Candy at some point that being a doctor was a life-long aspiration (I missed a few session 1 episodes) and now she's just trying to help him remember that...dunno. But, I love Jada and that she makes nursing cool :) Yes, she and I are on a first-name basis; you can touch me... I'm a nurse.

When I do meet the CNO of my hospital and she's not waring designer clothes with peep-toe heals, I'll be very disappointed.

3 comments:

Terésa said...

It really does come in handy to have a nurse in the family... at my beckon call... to text at all hours of the night. :)

Carolyn V. said...

I've never seen that show before. I'll have to check it out! =D

PS, I love that you're a nurse!

Jenny said...

You know why nurses are so great??? They carry Bacitracin ointment in their freaking purse!!!! That picture cracked me up!!!

I too love being a nurse. I have been the bread winner for the past 9 years while my husband is in eternal school. It has been such a blessing for us.

This post makes me really miss all my peeps at the U. Please tell everyone hi, especially Marilyn and Pepper. and if you are feeling really motivated pull up my blog for them so they can see my kiddos.

...and when you finally meet the CNO...tell her hi from me too. :)