Pages

12 October 2009

Road Less Traveled

I read this post this morning. I've been struggling with these same feelings of guilt and inadequacy in many aspects of my life for a long time, since I work outside the home three days of the week, totally and completely gone for 15+ hours of the day. I'm not able to do all of those things I would like to do, if I were there.

I know that doesn't sound like a lot of time away, but that only leaves me with 3 days of the week to do what should be done in 6 (I take my Sunday Rest very seriously). Now, not to diminish what D does while I'm at work (meals, dishes, occasional laundry, homework, etc), it's the other half of me that wallows in the "There is more that I need to be doing in life" guilt that creeps in, ever slowly, until I'm weighted down.

After I read the before-mentioned post, she had so eloquently described exactly how I allowed myself to feel sometimes. I'm lucky to get any laundry done at the end of the week, let alone start organizing pictures (thank goodness for Flicker) or scrapbooking. Journaling for the kids is seldom; making things, for myself or someone else? Non-existent. I do undergo the occasional baking session, but those are more seldom than I would prefer. Personal things like prayers and scriptures I need to do better, not to mention piano practicing and the experiences I want for the children. Basically, I'm just keeping myself afloat, and those off-times when I hit a snag, it feels more like a train wreck. The next step is to talk myself out of it and realize, thankfully to this well-expressed post, I now have ammunition against those heavy thoughts.

Rachel's Road Less Traveled
*Take care of my family and their needs, temporally and spiritually.
*Uplifting thoughts come from the Spirit. Focus on those, or at least surround myself with uplifting things.
* I really believe no one in heaven is keeping track of homemade quilts or scrapbooks or sewing projects
*I am not to run faster than I am able. I liked the suggestion of making "the daily list" so as to be concentrating on what's most important.
*As long as my children know that I love them and that I love God, and they see me live the gospel, I am on the right track.

The important things I am constantly striving to keep in the back of my mind:
Let the little things go
No one is Perfect
Everyone is different

"Now, go, and do thou likewise."

2 comments:

Carolyn V. said...

Great words of advice.

Being in school has taken a lot of my time, even though I am a part-time student. I'm trying to learn that it's okay if people see my kitchen a mess (with homework covering my table). And I promise someday I will get to the laundry.

I think you are a terrific homemaker/mom/ wife/ etc... I love your posts. They remind me that I'm not alone in all this. =) Thanks R.

Unknown said...

I DON'T work or go to school and I still harbor guilt that I should be doing more....I so love Sister Beck, what great advice. I love that she said, "Beg for miracles every morning, recognize and give thanks for them every night."

Thanks for your post and I will try my best to do likewise :-).