Pages

28 October 2009

House Divided

D grew up in Utah County, playing football in high school, even having some high school team mates play for the Y. He routinely went to BYU football games, cheering and everything. Can you imagine? Naturally, his loyalties were blue.

I grew up watching sports. Our Family Nights centered around the sport of the season. Our Sunday evenings were spent watching football or basketball as a family. Well, since my parents controlled the TV then, we really had no choice, so I succumbed to the intensities that are had in close games, overtimes and Super Bowl commercials, even cheering for the Broncos and John Elway, year after super-bowl loosing year.

I learned to love the sport. Of course I had my favorite teams, or at least my favorite players, but because we were watching football and basketball so often, I would just pick a team for that game and cheer for them (unless it was Chicago Bulls or Dallas Cowboys, I have to draw the line somewhere), usually the underdog. My sister would pick her team based on the teams colors. To each their own.

So, my family's ties were all up in University of Utah growing up. Mind you, I had NO problems cheering for BYU when they were playing anyone else. BYU football had some amazing years while I was younger. I still remember the few times they played Notre Dame. Wow, that was fun! I enjoyed cheering for them because they were from Utah! Even now, they have had some great seasons these last few years, and good for them!

However, my loyalty stands with Utah, even though I married a Utah County boy, even though I am Mormon (who said religion dictates your sports' teams affiliation?). But why can't I cheer for more than one team?

I understand loving a particular team, but why does there have to be so much hate against others, even when they aren't playing against each other that particular day? Now, rivalry game days are different. People have their sides, but the hate should stay out of it.

For the love of all that's football, just enjoy the game!!
Mack, if you're reading this (which you should), I'd love to read your ideas about it all!
Also, why is the Y bigger than the U in that flag???????

2 comments:

Amanda Ann Hansen said...

The answer to that last question is pretty obvious...

Go COUGARS!!!!

Carolyn V. said...

I totally agree! Keep the hate out people.

I don't know which side I take...blue or red. I went to both schools. Can I cheer for both?