Pages

21 October 2009

I Hate When A Good Book Ends!

A wonderful friend recommended this book to read. I borrowed her cds and downloaded it to my ipod. Then I let it sit there for almost a whole month before I started listening! A Whole Month! Maybe longer, actually. Anyhow, life got busier for a moment and I wanted to have it be my "train book" once i started commuting again, so I put off starting it.
The book is different, and if the name alone doesn't make you roll your eyes in amusement, reading (or being read t0) letters from her to him and him to someone else, and her to a complete stranger took a minute to get used to...maybe two. And then I was completely absorbed into Juliet's world. It's a fictitious story based on WWII German occupation of the English Channel Island of Guernsey and the post-war rebuilding. As compelling as that sounds, relationships -- of all kinds -- are born and flourish through letters. Imagine, letters! I found myself wanting to know Elizabeth myself and wishing I could express my thoughts as well as Juliet, as well as becoming frustrated with her suitor. Honestly, I just wanted to experience the Island as she had, 50 years ago, when life seemed simple...and I had just received a huge payment from writing a best-selling book so I could spend months and months someplace like that.

One time, while on the train, I was so enthralled in the story and my knitting, I made an audible GASP when I found out about Elizabeth! I then chuckled to myself. No one else seemed to notice, they all having ipods in their ears as well.

Then, last night, I took the girls to the park so I could listen some more. When we were all completely frozen, we went back home, got ready for bed. I hunkered down in my fleece PJ's and down comforter, snuggling and ready for more of the wonderful story that was unfolding when it ENDED! Happy, mind you, but ended just the same! I won't tell you how, in case you want to read it (and you DO), but I was left wanting more! What about the biography? I want to read the biogrophy of the friend she never met. What about Dawsey (what kind of name is Dawsey, anyway)? Does Sylvia ever come to visit? How does she describe the wedding? I want more!!
Loves to Nancy, who needs/deserves an island vacation more than myself
xoxoxox

4 comments:

Amanda Ann Hansen said...

Such a great book! I made my mom read it and she loved it too. So glad you got to enjoy it.

Kimi said...

I love the books that end too soon. When you wish they would go on for another 1000 pages you know they are great.

TeresaL said...

I want to read it now!

Carolyn V. said...

You made me want to go read that book! It sounds awesome!