Pages

07 July 2009

Yellow Fish and Red Stone

That title was something the kids made up after J confused Yellowstone with Redfish Lake and it came out something like "Yellowfish Lake." Then they spent the next hour showing us all the Red Stones on our drive throughout Yellowstone Park that afternoon. :) Ahh, 7 and 9 year old humor. They also got a kick out of how red/purple their tongues would be after drinking pints and pints of Kool-aid. I don't think I've heard them laugh that much at one time in a long time. We just listened and reveled in the moments.


So, yup. We took our first family camping trip, all by ourselves. No other in-laws or family, just the 5 of us. We packed up and headed off to West Yellowstone, MT for 4 days. And, considering all the rain, only forgetting the chairs was an accomplishment! Everyone had clothes and shoes and toothbrushes and waaaayyyy too much food. We even snacked so much during the day that we weren't hungry enough for lunch, so we just skipped lunch and went back to our camp for dinner. Oops! It's too wet to make a fire. Guess we'll fry some hamburgers. What's that? You want grilled cheese sandwiches? Then, by George! Grilled Cheese it is! I'm adaptable, especially when it's been raining all day.

However, despite the rain, we had significant pauses enough to enjoy many, many of the foot paths and trails to see the beauty and awe that is Yellowstone Park. The kids were such great sports and loved looking for the different kinds of animals. L mistook a buffalo and said "Bear" one time. After I crawled back into my skin and realized what she meant, it became a joke for the kids. Because we all know there are no bears in Yellowstone Park ;) I have really yet to see one, thankfully.

Anyway, I may write more about it later. We took enough pictures for a small book (which is exactly what I'm going to do with them) but I'll leave you with a few of my favorites! Enjoy!
My Munchkins


Old Faithful

L being one of the Big Kids

Tounge Coloring Contest

View from Grand Canyon

1 comment:

Amanda Ann Hansen said...

That is so fun! I have been itching to go to Yellowstone for months now. I will just have to live vicariously through your blog.