Pages

18 April 2009

SLC 5K

As I'm running (and occasionally walking), things are running through my mind on how to write this piece today. So much of my life has been avoiding things that are "hard or difficult," most strenuous exercises included. I've just never seen the point of pushing myself to exhaustion. Maybe it's more along the lines of fearing the failure?

I read a piece from a friend's blog about how she was so glad to get the go-ahead from her doctor to begin running again after a c-section. She said something that really knocked me off my rocker. She described that running itself wasn't the great part, but it's how you feel after the run, after you realize you've made such an accomplishment.

While I was running, I thought of that. And at the end, I realized, "This is why people run." I get it now. It was an awesome feeling, know that I had accomplished something. I didn't do it perfect, but I did it, with a head-cold. :) Thanks, Amy and Jill for being such great inspiration! I ran for D, for my family, for Rich, and for myself.

7 comments:

Terésa said...

Yea, Suey!!! I'm SOOOOO proud of you. What a great accoplishment! You well be able to look back at this when you are 95 and running around with your great grandchildren, and you can say "back in '09 when i did my first 5K...". I'm so happy for you!!

Carolyn V. said...

So AWESOME! Way to go! =)

Anonymous said...

Good job! There is nothing like the first race. At my first race I remember how surprised I was that so many people were there to pay to run and it was actually fun-the excitement at the beginning and the fun at the end. The middle is fun too if you meet people and chat a little bit. Anyway--Way to go!

Andrea said...

You go Rachel...good for you!!!! I'm still trying to get into running--not going so well lately. :)

Miss M said...

That's AWESOME!!!! I'm glad you did it.

Jenny said...

Way to go. I am so proud.

TeresaL said...

Woo hoo! You're awesome!