Pages

06 February 2009

My Secret Wepon

Yes, I can get my week's worth of laundry washed, dried and put away (so neatly even Martha Stewart would be hard-pressed to find a fault) in just over two hours on ONE day. I do not write this to brag, simply to make a point I love about living here.

So, I guess I have two secret weapons:
Even with 76 apartments in the building, I rarely run into anyone else even doing laundry, so having all 6 machines to myself is wonderful. 38 minutes to wash, 42 minutes to dry, 4-6 loads done all at once (secret weapon #1 would be the multiple washers/dryers at my disposal). Now, what to do with the MOUNDS of clothes/towels/linen/socks???





Enter Secret Weapon #2 (I guess this means I have to kill you all...hmmm)


Never mind the rice noodles next to the jug of Miracle Grow for my one and only plant...Hey! I honestly just noticed the 7-up on the shelves in the picture! I totally forgot about them (next to the toilet bowl cleaner)! :) Wow. Anyhooo, the cart is a realistic birth from my imagination, $12 put to incredibly good use and worth every penny. I wouldn't buy this one again because the plastic is flimsy and my mom and I broke a few corners getting the thing together (duct tape holds the bottom). However, I digress. The basket has 3 compartments, the bottom of each holding a bottle of detergent, a box of dryer sheets and a container of Oxi-clean. Note the hangers. I'll get to that in a sec. Laundry day: load everything up, usually have a regular basket that fits nicely on top of the blue one and I roll it all out to the elevator (*ding*) and out into the laundry room. Switching the loads I just use the regular hug-the-hip plastic type. *Buzz* Done. Roll my contraption out and up to the warm laundry room again, usually still in my slippers. Now, I have the lovely place of the rod along the top, on which to hang our newly laundered shirts! Towels get folded and put into the blue bins. Other clothes get folded as I take them out of the dryer and put them in the plastic bin that sits on top. Little to no ironing is needed, mainly because the clothes aren't sitting in the dryer all day. :)
Now, I do realize that once I move back into reality, this contraption will have no realistic purpose. It won't be able to traverse the stairs. Also, I could let the laundry sit all day here, but I'd probably find it pulled out by someone else anxious to dry their clothes, too. So, I guess it's also a change in my own laundry attitude. But, for now, getting through these next few years, I will take all the short-cuts I can get, even if it means taking advantage of the laundry!!

3 comments:

Carolyn V. said...

I'm so jealous! I want 6 washers to do laundry in. It would be heaven :)

Miss M said...

That IS a secret weapon. I miss the days of multiple washers, kind of. Do you guys have a Shelf Reliance storage rack? I thought I recognized one. We have one too. Love it!

TeresaL said...

That's awesome!