Pages

12 February 2009

Why do I do it?

I've committed myself to run the 5K in the SLC marathon in April. I don't know why. Someone at work mentioned they were running it and I thought, "That would be fun to run it with someone." So, I got everyone else at work excited to run together, as a team. "Team Neuro." Yup, my idea. So what do I do? Add my husband to the roster!! :)

Yes, I've started training for a 5K. Now, some may be rolling their eyes saying, "Jeezz, that's no big deal." But if you were me, you would know how, yes, this is a big deal. Let me count the ways: *I'm out of shape (but round is a shape, no?). *I have hated running since I had to do it in Jr High/High school. *I'm slow. *Did I mention I am out of shape? *Pushing a jogging stroller is harder than it looks! *Oh, the burn (lungs, legs, buns)!!

So, why do I do it? I need motivation to get myself into better shape! I've tried for years to simply exercise with up and down results. I was doing really well toward the end of last year. I'm down to my pre-baby weight before L. Now I want to get back to my pre-baby weight of E and just be generally more healthy. And I'm having a hard time! So, I gave myself a goal, which, I've heard can be a good thing.

Today, I was exceited to get out, even while it was snowing. Walking wasn't fast enough. I had to run. Like my body was pushing me. That, and it was almost 10am. It's a lot easier to get out when it's not dark. :)

So, wish me luck! And for those of you who have run a 5K or a half-marathon, or a marathon, I tip my hat to you. I hear they are a lot of fun. :)

4 comments:

Carolyn V. said...

Ooooo, I wanna run a 5K, but alas, shin splints galore on my legs. Maybe they'll start a 2K, I could totally do that!

Mariam said...

Good for you. You are definitely more motivated than I am. My hubby just signed up for a 24 hr. relay. I just can't do the running thing.

Miss M said...

Running is bad for you, don't do it.

Andrea said...

Good for you Rachel...I am thinking of doing the same thing!!! I'm outta shape as well and need a goal! :)