Pages

21 August 2008

PTA = _____

= Parents Who Have More Time On Their Hands Than They Know What To Do With So They Create Organizations That Nudge Their Way Into Public School Systems and Tell The Teachers That They Can't Function Without It and Even Have Legislators' Fingers In Tax-Free Money To Fund These Programs and Now I'm Sucked Into The Whole Mess...

...yah, I volunteered to be the Treasure, thinking that was a pretty benign and safely controlled choice, thinking that if I was doing something, I wouldn't get the constant phone calls to help with this or that when I'd have to say no anyway, because outside of my family, I HAVE A LIFE. We'll see how that works.

Don't get me wrong. I want to help. I want to be involved. But the largeness of the program is nauseating.

I really do believe that the kids would still function and education would not cease if there were no Reflections (art shows) or Meet the Masters (doesn't anyone really go?) or Parent's and Pastries or Jog-a-thon's and fundraisers (to raise money for said activities). Seriously people? What happened to the parents or the students supporting their student's teachers, sending the needed supplies, putting together their own class parties, etc.

Kids who are homeschooled don't have PTA. (Gasp) I know!! How do they even get through their school curriculum??

They don't have PTAs...They have parents.

I remember submitting a story for Relfections when I was in the 5th grade, but none of this other fluffy stuff. And that's what it is. PTA has gotten so out of hand. By allowing this program to become as large as it has, at a national level, it has actually taken more accountability away from parents, when their creed is to help get parents more involved. If anyone has more PTA insight, then by all means enlighten me. But I had NO IDEA that there are chapters and Commissioners and more Commissioners and so many people involved. Kind of superfluous, I think. If I find out any of them get any kind of financial compensation, I may seriously spontaneously combust.

Now, people think, "Oh, the PTA takes care of that. I don't have to." Yup, thanks to socialized liberal school propaganda and more governmental programs that brainwash us into thinking we need all these programs to have a functional school system. Thus we don't have to be responsible for our children's education or extra activities because the government should just take care of it all.

The Principal was almost crying at Back to School night when she was saying how we almost had no PTA president for this year (thus no PTA) when a Dad picked up the baton. Kudos to him, honestly, though.

But really. We should have given it a year and then said, "Man, that saved a whole lot of people a whole lot of headaches."

3 comments:

TeresaL said...

We don't have PTA here, we have PTC. Whatever that is. lol. I'm pretty sure it's the same thing. They wanted me to come last year and be part of it, but I just couldn't do it. :)
Good luck!!!

Mariam said...

Amen sister! Who need teachers, students and a curriculum, we have a PTA.
Speaking as a former teacher, parents are part of the greatest difficulty on the job, especially official parent organizations. That is just in High School. I can't imagine Elementary School. Good luck.

Terésa said...

Hey, i'm the only member of PTA at my school. ;) j/k... sort of.