Pages

09 August 2008

Not to Distract from the Main Event, but...

...like I said in my TTA, competition is good, it's healthy, it's human. I love the Olympics. I love everything about the Olympics, how naturally human competition can bring the whole world together for a few weeks...unless it involves China (here's where it gets dirty).

Watching the opening ceremonies last night was moving. It always is, seeing all those athletes, getting pictures of each other, groups of nations just so excited to be together. Again, good healthy competition bringing out every one's best. For two weeks, we root for the underdog regardless of their nationality. We are excited when someone wins, beating all odds. For most of us, the Olympians are the 'best of the best.' And I love it all.

And then I watch the Chinese officials and leaders and just want to throw their books and flags and any other piece of paper they've touched the last 10 years out a very high window and throw them over my knee and paddle their bottoms!!!

My skin was crawling and I'm watching the Ceremonies and thinking about all the stories I've read these past few weeks and how these "games" came to be. They took everything good and honorable and natural human out of these games, trying to force their country to put on a facade of perfection, even with all their problems in Tibet, not to mention the neighborhoods they forced out of their homes in order to bulldoze to make room for their precious Stadium.

Yes, all the hype is just hype for me this year. I root for the athletes; I really want Michael Phelps to win those Gold Medals because that would just be so cool! There are so many great athletes.

It's just too bad that the rest of the nobility to the Games is all a cover-up for bigger problems no one is willing to look at, least of all China.

That's my soap box until October and I get to vent about the Presidential Candidates. :)

No comments: