Pages

08 March 2008

Embarrasing Observations

Have you ever looked at something every day for as long as you can remember, and then one day looking at that same thing and notice something blatantly obvious, so obvious that you feel stupid for not noticing sooner? I'm sure I've had a few of those moments in my life, but I can't remember details. :) However, I remember this one.

It was Thrusday evening, just this past Thursday. I was taking my time getting ready for bed, plucking eyebrows, using a different night cream, flossing all my teeth...anyway, as I'm plucking a few stray chin hairs I'm relishing in the idea that as my friends are turning 30, I still have another year to warm up to the idea of moving into my next decaded. And I've told a few people this sentiment over the past few months...then it hit me!

I was in the same class with these friends! My heart started racing...what year is it? 2008? Holy...You've got to be kidding?! Yes, I too was born in 1978, that would mean that in 2008 I would turn 30 years old!! I had to grab the counter to keep from falling backward. Not only can I not believe that I was able to keep this from myself for the better part of a year, but that I no longer had my "safty net."

Daryl didn't think I was serious. When I called my Mom and was near tears, she couldn't stop laughing. Thanks, Mom. All she could say was, "I just turned 55. No sympathy here." But you're my MOM; you're supposed to be older than me. This is ME, turning 30! It's not that i care how old I am; I'm with the belief that you are as old as you feel. But it's the fact that it totally CREPT UP on me! How does that happen??? That's just embarrasing.

2 comments:

Susie J. said...

ummm, yeah. I've got 20 more days till the Big 3-0. UGH.

Mariam said...

So, do you ever look at yourself and your life and think "how did I get Here". My life seems way too old for me. I guess it is bound to happen. You look great though, and remember if 40 is the new 20, then 30 must be the new 15, (Ugh, I don't really want to go back there). Maybe 30 isn't so bad after all.