Pages

27 July 2011

Me vs You

Have you ever spent much time in a waiting room? I've been here a lot the last few weeks, and will have more time tomorrow as we meet another doctor. But right now, we're in the Radiation Oncology waiting room, overhearing two ladies comparing/contrasting/comforting each other about their loved ones' brain tumors. See? Things could always be worse...

So, as I'm sitting, contemplating, feeling sorry for myself and for D, I listen to this mother explain how she sometimes acted out her frustration, slamming her hand on a counter and bruising it. Her son is 25. The neurosurgeon removed an apple-sized brain tumor. Now he is getting radiation to his brain. The other woman, was there with her father. These two women went on comparing side effects. Then, the mother said, "Can you imagine working here? Being around all of this, every day? We at least get to leave...it takes a special person to do this."

Yes, everyone struggles with something. And gratefully there are people along our way to help us through. I have strengths, you have strengths. I believe we come into each others' lives to help each other through those times. Even including doctors and nurses. I've learned so much from working at the Huntsman Cancer Hospital. But, now I'm grateful to leave the teaching and comforting to them, and I'll worry about my little family.

But, hey, if you want something stitched up, come on over! I've got all kinds of fun stuff! :-)

1 comment:

Terésa said...

Love you, Sister. Xoxo