Pages

24 September 2010

Bee Under My...Curtains!

I don't know what happened. I guess I had a few days off and I didn't fell like baking (I know, I know, I must be feeling sick or something) but I had this problem:

And you can see how glaring this problem can be as we're watching TV or a movie before the sun sets (you're looking West out that door, basement family room). Very annoying. My first solution? Tack a blanket up of course :) Then my M-in-L came over with an offering:

"I found these as I was cleaning out my basement and thought you might be able to use them (because you have a blanket thumb-tacked to the wall)." Though, I must admit, it was waaaaaay more stylish than the alternative (not to mention FREE). And if it were any other day, I probably would have just left it like that. But there is something about raw edges and gaping holes that rubs me the wrong way, and as they were, it left something to be desired. So, as I saw it, I had no choice. Out came my M-in-Law's sewing machine :) Yes, I have hers cuz my sister took back my Mom's that I had. Yes, I should just buy my own. Or, borrow my sister's new one that she HASN'T EVEN USED YET. Just sayin...

AnYwAy... In my sewing box (that used to be my Mother's) I found some left over fabric and started measuring and pinning. Then, once I worked the kinks out of the machine, went to town with my straight stitches!! Straight being a relative term. NeVeR look at my seams :) After a few touch-ups while hanging, they're ready for their blogging debut!!

I really wanted to find a darker fabric that would have complimented the navy blue, but red and ecru go with navy as well. I know you can't tell from this pic but it's an ecru rattan fabric with red stripes, almost vintage-looking, except I bought it from Wal-Mart years ago for a quilting project that was never started. Well, I guess I'll have a patriotic room for a while. I really can't argue with FREE, minus a few hours of my day--yes, I said hours. Did I mention I don't have my own sewing machine?? Still, I LoVe that I actually finished it...in one day...and didn't put it off. Thanks, M-in-L for the inspiration...and the sewing machine :)


P.S. In the first picture, can you tell there is a creature in front of the door?? More on HIM soon! :)

3 comments:

Carolyn V. said...

Wow! It looks great Rachel! I love the colors. (You bake and sew? You have talent girl!)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Those turned out really well. Great *custom* look. Good job!

Aunt Sharon

Terésa said...

HEY! I totally HAVE used my sewing machine! I just haven't MADE anything. But I've used it!! And you can have moms back as soon as you want to come get it :-P