Pages

16 November 2009

Wanderings

This weekend I traveled, yet again, up to Idaho. My sister's ward was doing a craft activity day on Saturday. Months ago she was asked to organize a jewelry-making area. How fun! I told her. Those are really popular. You'll be busy. She didn't share my enthusiasm...

She brought me some things she was given to make samples. I helped her make the samples, but brainstorming how it all should be done/organized for a large group was giving us both headaches! Do we simply put kits together and sell the kits? Could do, that would be painstaking but effective. Then my overactive OCD comes out and says, "What if people don't like the kits we put together? People need choices and a variety to chose from. People simply need the opportunity to be creative, then they will be infinitely more pleased with the final result." I'm sure I said something to that effect :)

That's when I went into Big Sister mode and took over the project (believe me, she didn't mind). I've wanted to get into jewelry-making and have dabbled a bit over the years. I already had the basic stuff, just needed to bulk it up a little!

WOW, did we have beads flying!! It was so fun! People who'd come over to make just a bracelet ended up making a necklace and/or watch band to match! Some were making children's bracelets for their kids' friends' Christmas presents. Some were grand children's presents. Some were for themselves.

What looks so overwhelming and intimidating at first becomes such a creative outlet. It was so amazing being a part of that! People would ask, "Where do I even start?" Start with one bead, or one concept. And their minds would kick into gear. I can't tell you how much I enjoy being able to start that process in someone else and watch it grow!! Honestly, I get a good portion of my ideas from simply watching other people. We all feed off each other and help each other grow...grow so much that I can't wait to do the chaos all over again!! Bead Party anyone?? Anyone?? :)

2 comments:

Carolyn V. said...

Wow, Rachel I love this post! How cool that you got to do that and help others with their creativity. =) Awesome!

TeresaL said...

How fun!